Virginia Coast Chorus is a membership organization of female singers, who meet regularly to practice, perform, socialize, and have fun. The Virginia Coast Chorus (VCC) was founded in 1986. We range in age from teens to 80s - we are nurses, teachers, government employees, administrative assistants, homemakers, students, retirees - everyday women just like you. We have varied music backgrounds from degrees in music to "can't read a note!" We currently have approximately 40 members from all parts of the Greater Tidewater area.
Virginia Coast Chorus loves to get out and sing for our community. We sing at annual shows, a number of community events, and at annual competitions. We are available to sing at your next function or event. If you're looking for a unique musical experience to liven up your event.
In addition to sharing our music with others, another great passion of ours is learning more about the art of a cappella singing. Vocal instruction is a regular part of chorus rehearsals, and a very important component of the chorus experience. A couple of times a year, we will get coaching from a visiting master in the art of barbershop, where we learn many fabulous tricks of the trade.
In the spring of every year, Virginia Coast Chorus participates in the Region 14 chorus competition. Competitions are a special time for quartets and choruses from our region to come together to sing for each other, and get some constructive feedback from a panel of judges. VCC is extraordinarily proud of our 2015 Third Place overall and Second Place mid-size chorus finish. The winners of the regional competition in both quartet and chorus categories get to travel to International Competition, which is held in the fall in a city selected each year. In 2016, International Competition will be held in Las Vegas.
Most choruses have members who form their own vocal quartets in addition to singing with the chorus. Virginia Coast Chorus currently is home to a number of wonderful quartets, and we are very proud of them!
Virginia Coast Chorus is a chapter of Sweet Adelines, International, a non-profit organization of approximately 25,000 members in choruses and quartets, worldwide. The headquarters is in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
VCC Mission Statement
- VCC is committed to achieving musical excellence through continued music education while never losing sight of the joy of the journey.
- VCC promotes community awareness of the barbershop art form through performances at quality venues.
- VCC members demonstrate commitment to the chorus by consistent attendance and behaviors that exemplify respect for each other and our leadership.
- VCC fosters a sense of belonging and personal value by embracing diversity and building on the individual strengths of each other.
- VCC provides its members the opportunity to experience the joy of singing.
- VCC is committed to maintaining financial stability to enable achievement of all other goals.
Check out our History page for Virginia Coast Chorus Through the Years in photos Click for History Page